Sunday, February 16, 2014

It’s sort of amazing.

tumblr_mo4zivVKuy1qa0w0yo1_400
(image source)

I went into church today and I was not at peace. I mean there is a slew of things going on in my life and family right now that I am just not even a little at peace with. Not to say that I am always a calm and at peace person, but I try put faith in God that He will get us through the bad times in life and that he will always see us through. Generally – the majority of the time actually – I can do this.

But for the past few months it seems like one thing after another is going wrong in our life and that no matter how much peace and faith I have that nothing is going our way or getting better. I know that our life is not meant to always be good or easy; that sometimes God makes it hard or lets it be difficult. Just because you’re a Christian and put your faith and trust in God doesn’t mean you will have an easy life. I know this. I’ve always accepted it. And I have always strived for peace and grace in my heart during those times.

But man, that has been so hard lately.

Anyway, I went into church not at peace today. I even had a long prayer request written out asking for help and prayers in bringing peace and grace back into my heart, because I know deep down that I need it, and I figured part of the problem must be that I was holding all of our problems close to my heart and not sharing them. So here I am, sitting in the choir loft waiting for the sermon to start. I have my notebook and Bible on my lap, and in the back of my notebook I have my prayer request.

Guess what the topic of today’s sermon was. Colossians 3:15.

“Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.”

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know, preaching about peace can be generic. But that doesn’t make it any less remarkable that I came in to church today desperate to get peace back into my heart, requesting prayers for peace, and then there it is.

I’m not fully at peace yet, but I’m praying about it, and I’m trying to put my faith in God about it. Hopefully I will be soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment